Artichoke and Spinach Quiche
March finds the wind blowing, the temperatures warming, the daffodils blooming and The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, in Lynchburg, VA, taking advantage of fresh spinach, along with artichokes, as our signature dish this month.
- 1 11-inch store-bought pie dough sheet
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon grated nitmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Roll out pie dough and place into an 11-inch pie plate, crimping edges. Pierce dough with a fork several times. Bake in oven until slightly browned, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Turn oven down to 325 degrees.
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add butter, onion, spinach, artichoke hearts, cayenne and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until mixture is warm and fragrant. Remove from pan to a bowl and let cool.
In a large bowl combine chives, Dijon mustard, eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg and a pinch of salt and a large pinch of black pepper. Whisk together until well combined.
Add spinach-artichoke mixture to the pie shell, then pour egg mixture over top. Top with Cheddar cheese and bake until eggs are set, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven, cut into wedges and serve with a side of fresh spinach with broiled tomatoes.
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
From The Blog RSS
- Red Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Icing Drizzle February 2, 2016
- Waterstone Fire Roasted Pizza January 26, 2016
- Lynchburg Museum Quilt Exhibit January 19, 2016