Check Availability | 434-846-1388

Blog

Cabell Street Row Houses

Posted on
Print Friendly
Cabell Street Row Houses, Lynchburg, VA

Cabell Street Row Houses, circa 1899

In 1899 the Cabell Street Row Houses were built on Cabell Street.

The 600 block of Cabell Street was originally owned by Judge William Daniel, Jr. and remained in the Daniel family until 1881.  The owners of the property with the longest tenure after the Daniels were Dennis and Annie Morrison, who owned the lot for almost 60 years from 1883 until 1942.  Dennis Morrison was a merchant on Main Street and officer of the Lynchburg Diamond Ice Company.

The Morrison’s built the six row houses but never lived in any of them.  They kept them as rental properties for decades.  Tenants in the early 1900’s were primarily tradesmen and railroad workers.  In 1900 the last house in the row (623) was home to the pastor of the Cabell Street Baptist Church.

This group of six dwelling units is typical of many speculative townhouse developments built in the growing cities after the Civil War.  The urban renewal movement had been the cause for destruction of great quantities of such buildings during the 1950’s and 1960’s.

This group of row houses’ architectural style is Italianate with 7-course American bond brick construction.  The houses have a total of 18 bays, with 6 one-story tall, one-bay-wide porches and have a prominent wood cornice which rises above the roof as a parapet.  Entering through the front door, 13 foot ceilings and large windows throughout the house give the appearance of grandeur of other fine homes in Lynchburg.  The kitchen is located in the back of the house on the ground level.  The dining room is located in the front of the house on the midlevel.  Spacious but economical seems to have been the plan of the developers.

When the Cabell Street Row Houses were redeveloped in the 1980’s restrictive covenants were put into the deeds prohibiting them from being rental properties so the once tenant occupied row houses are now all owner occupied.

This post is one of a series of posts about properties around The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast which are located in the Daniel’s Hill Historic District.