The Harley Owner Group to visit Lynchburg. Starting Wednesday, June 22 until Saturday, June 25th the city of Lynchburg will be filled with H.O.G.s! Approximately 2,000 rally participants will meet in Lynchburg to participate in numerous activities.
There will be music, vendors, activities for all ages, games, obstacle courses, riding competitions, self guided rides, tour rides and more. Highlights of the four days of events include: guided tour rides to Red Hill, Appomattox Courthouse National Park and the National D=-Day Memorial, a lighted bike show, motorcycle riding concepts courses, historic architecture walking tou of downtown Lynchburg and a parade.
The Harley Owner Group hosts rallies throughout the year in various cities across the United States. The last time this event was held in Lynchburg was 10 years ago. The Milwaukee-based Harley Owners Group has more than 1 million members and 1,400 chapters around the world. Benefits of belonging to this group include access to the Harley Davidson Museum, a magazine, members website, e-newsletter, touring handbooks that are road ready with maps and touring tips, merchandise and touring contests.
So, when you hear the “roar of thunder” between June 22nd and June 25th it may just be one of the many Harley enthusiasts experiencing our town and location in Central Virginia.
The Old City Cemetery, Lynchburg, VA, is Lynchburg’s most visited tourist site. During the past four months we have posted a blog describing the individual buildings/museums found on the cemetery grounds. This month we are going to introduce you to the Cemetery Museum and it’s artifacts.
The main focus of the Cemetery Center is it’s collection of American mourning customs and artifacts, burial records of the Southern Memorial Association, the Lee Reading Room, Taylor Conservatory and the Christian Vault.
This month’s blog post is going to concentrate on the American mourning customs and artifacts.
The main room in the Cemetery Center is comprised of doors, floorboards, beams and a fireplace mantle, all dated 1845. This room contains mourning artifacts and decor. Some of the most interesting pieces found include:
- mourning and funeral photographs (c. 1900).
- beeswax flowers (c. 1870). These would have surrounded the casket during the funeral, then have been placed on the grave and finally taken by the family where they were framed and hung in the parlor.
- a mantle clock draped in black crepe to signify mourning. The clock would have been stopped at the time of death.
- mourning stationary that is bordered in black. It would have been used to announce the death and to invite friends and family to the funeral..
- a cast-iron “shoulder casket” (c. 1857, from Diuguid Funeral Service). Used by upper-class citizen of Lynchburg it is painted to resemble wood.
- an embalming kit (c.1900). Some of the instruments are still used today.
A few of the interesting facts about mourning and burial customs found in the Cemetery Center are as follows:
- widows were in mourning for a total of 2 1/2 years. They were in deep mourning for 1 year and 1 day, during which time they could only wear black. After their deep mourning period they could add a touch of white, more ruffles or trim and wear hats instead of veils. Near the end of the mourning period they could wear clothing in dark colors:gray, purple, slate or blue.
- women did not attend the burial.
- flower arrangements were seldom used before the Civil War. Between the 1880’s-1890’s fresh, dried and artificial flower arrangements were used in profusion.
- mourning attire for men consisted of wearing a black armband or hatband for a period of 3 months.
- men wore mourning attire as a mark of respect. Women wore mourning attire out of fear that the omission to wear black would be interpreted as evidence of a lack of affection for the dead.
- immediately following the funeral all traces f death were to be removed from the house. Shutters were opened, blinds raised, crepe and flowers removed and clocks restarted.
The Cemetery Center is open between 11 until 3 daily, or by appointment. It contains detailed brochures and booklets relating to the history of the cemetery along with information about the various buildings and museums located on the cemetery grounds (most of which we have discussed earlier this year). There is a small gift shop that sells “Died and Gone to Heaven” honey (that is produced by the cemeteries bees), books (including Once Upon a Time…a Cemetery Story) and cookbooks (such as the award winning Food to Die For a book of funeral food, tips and tales), along with gifts and items pertaining to the cemetery.
Lazy Days Winery, located just north of The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Amherst, VA offers great wines and a spectacular view of the Virginia countryside.
The first grapes were planted on 12 of the 100 acres by John Fitzhugh and his father, Bill in 2007. Starting with petit manseng, petit verdot and merlot these grapes were quickly followed by traminac, tannat and a variety of trial vines, including malbec.
The winery and tasting room are located in a restored cattle-auction barn, previously known as the Amherst Livestock Pavilion. The comfortable tasting rooms adjoins the pavilion event area to offer a great space for spending the afternoon, attending a festival or theater production or celebrating a wedding.
Wines produced by Lazy Days include their award winning Petit Verdot, Chardonnay Reserve, Capuchin White, Sweet Lazy Days White Wine and Bill’s Blackberry Wine. Other wines offered include a Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec and their new Sweet Peaches (made with peaches grown in Nelson County).
Lazy Days Winery hosts their Summer Solstice Festival each June to celebrate the beginning of summer. Featuring other wineries, musicians, food vendors and local artists from the Lynchburg and Amherst area the festival allows guests to experience the winery before it gets too hot. Throughout the year they participate in other festivals and tasting events throughout the state. A member of the Jefferson Heritage Wine Trail they support the history and heritage of Central Virginia between Lynchburg and Charlottesville.
Located at 1315 N. Amherst Hwy (RT.29) in Amherst, VA they can be reached at 434.381.6088. Winery hours are Wednesday through Sunday, 11 am until 5 pm.
Stay with us at The Carriage House Inn Bed & Breakfast and we can plan your tour of this winery along with several others that are nearby and may participate with us in the Jefferson Heritage Trail. A chauffeured wine tour package can be found on our web site. Everyone always enjoys it!
The Lynchburg Regional Airport will host the 2016 Lynchburg Regional Airshow the weekend of May 21 & 22. Once again this year the US Navy Blue Angels will be the featured, premiere performers. America’s longest serving flight demonstration squadron will be performing at 34 locations in the United States this year. The Blue Angels were formed in 1946 and is made up of both Navy and Marine aviators. 2016 is their 70th anniversary!
In addition to the Blue Angels the performer lineup includes other aerial performers, more than 15 static displays, vendors and those who love flying and airplanes.
A few of the aerial performers include
- The Aeroshell Aerobic Tea
- The US Navy Leap Frogs-an all volunteer team of active-duty personnel from Naval Special Warfare (including Navy Seals) who comprise the US Navy Parachute Tea
- The de Havilland DH 100 Vampire-a British jet fighter that was entered into service with the Royal Air Force in 1945. The Vampire was the first fighter jet to be powered by a single engine, to cross the Atlantic and to land on an aircraft carrier. It was used as a front-line fighter until 1953. The RAF retired this fighter jet in 1966.
The theme of this year’s airshow is “A Salute to Service”. This theme was selected to honor those who serve to protect our country and communities, specifically our military and first responders. A portion of ticket sales will be donated to support these individuals.
Tickets can be purchased at www.lynchburgairshow.com. General admission tickets are currently $25, children (6-12) $8, and VIP tickets $125. Tickets can be purchased on site the days of the show at $35 each. Tickets are valid either Saturday or Sunday and include parking. Gates open each day at 9:00 AM and the show will conclude by 5:00 PM.
Guests staying with us at The Carriage House Inn Bed & Breakfast can request a box lunch, should you not want to purchase food at the airshow. Just let us know at least 72 hours in advance of your reservation. Call us, 434.846.1388 to discuss room availability. We attended the show during it’s last visit to Lynchburg, 2011, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
Old City Cemetery, in Lynchburg, VA, is hosting the 21st Annual Antique Rose Festival on Saturday and Sunday, May 7 & 8, 2016.
The Antique Rose collection was planted in 1986 on both sides of the 800 foot remains of the 1860’s old brick wall. The 60 varieties planted here are representative of rose history from before 1581 thrrought the 19th century. The roses chosen include the full range of classes and colors exhibited by these ancestors of modern day roses. The original plants were gathered from across the United States and Canada, including local gardens.
The “mother roses” have been grown locally. They are cut and rooted by local volunteers, who take care of them throughout the year. These cuttings, showcasing about 120 varieties of roses this year, will be for sale on both May 7 & 8. Prices will be dependent upon the size of the rose plant. Old City Cemetery is also selling some perennial off-shoots this year. Some of the perennials will be clematis, snowball, deutzia and rosemary plants.
The roses and perennials will be sold starting on Friday, May 6th at 5:00 pm. The sales continue until Sunday, May 8th at 5:00 pm.
On Sunday, May 8th at 3:00 the Mother’s Day Rose Walk will take place. This walking tour of the roses growing along the brick wall will describe and explain the history of these roses. Some will be in bloom, while others will be in bud. The walking tour should delight your senses!
For more information you can contact Old City Cemetery at 434.847.1465 or visit www.gravegarden.org.
The pictures of the roses, found in this blog post, were taken by Mike Bedsworth during last year’s rose festival.
The Garden Club of Virginia is proud to welcome you to Historic Garden Week, April 23-30, 2016. This year 30 tours have been organized and hosted by 47 Garden Club of Virginia member clubs. Nearly 250 private homes, gardens and historic sites will be open throughout the state. You might tour just the homes and gardens in your town, a nearby town or you might travel across the state touring various areas and locales to explore more of Virginia.
Garden Day in Lynchburg, VA., hosted by the Lynchburg Garden Club and Hillside Garden Club, will be held on Tuesday, April 26 between 10 until 6. This year’s tour, a walking tour, will highlight five private homes located on or just off of Peakland Place, in the Boonsboro section of Lynchburg. The houses, all built in the 1920’s and 1930’s and their gardens vary in size and formality. Some of the homes have had extensive renovations or restoration work done. Others are virtually unchanged from their original grandeur. The gardens are also varied, some have had years of history while others are in their infancy.
In addition to touring the homes and gardens five special activities, lectures and demonstrations will be taking place along Peakland Place. Between 10 until 2 a lecture on the variety and care of hybrid boxwoods will take place at 3908 Peakland Place. At 11 and again at noon a lecture on growing grapes will be held at 3890 Peakland Place. Growing, harvesting and using lavender will be discussed at 3850 Peakland Place at 1 and again at 2. 3840 Peakland Place will host two lectures about raising bees, at 3 and at 4. Between 11 until 4 Blenheim Vineyard will host a wine tasting at Oakwood Country Club.
Local food trucks will be parked along Peakland Place to serve you sweets or savories throughout the day.
In addition to the homes and gardens along Peakland Place various historic sites will be open to those who have purchased a Garden Day tour ticket. These include Anne Spencer House and Garden, Miller-Claytor House and Garden, Old City Cemetery, Point of Honor, Sweet Briar House and Garden and Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest.
Tour tickets can be purchased at various locations throughout Lynchburg prior to the 26th or at Oakwood Country Club on the day of the tour. Full tour tickets are $30, single site tickets are $10 and tickets purchased in advance are $25.
The photos were taken here, at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast over the past couple of years. Enjoy!
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
- At the Bed and Breakfast (58)
- Civil War (17)
- Dining in Lynchburg (19)
- Events (110)
- Food Truck (1)
- gluten free recipe (18)
- Historic Lynchburg (37)
- Massage Treatments (17)
- News (36)
- Outdoor Activity (42)
- Packages/Specials (36)
- Recipes (71)
- Roanoke Virginia (3)
- Things to do (103)
- Welcome (5)
- Wine Event (15)
- Winery (4)
From The Blog RSS