My Best Clam Chowder
I hope you don’t think we serve clam chowder for breakfast! We don’t, but this recipe is so good I wanted to share it with you. During the cold winter months a bowl of hot soup is very comforting. This is a great dish to make for the family or invite friends and neighbors on those chilly winter nights. We will sometimes make three or four different types of soup and have the neighborhood over for a soup and salad night. The neighbors bring the bread and salads and we provide the soup. This one is always a favorite, best of all, it is quick and easy to make. If you are ever staying at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast during one of our soup and salad nights this will become one of your favorite dishes also.
- 6 (6.5 ounce) cans of chopped NOT minced clams
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups cubed potatoes (cubed 1/2 inch)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 quart half and half cream
- 3 strips thick bacon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet. When the bacon is done, remove bacon and set aside and leave the bacon grease in skillet.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and potatoes to the bacon grease and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. While that is cooking, open the 6 cans of diced clams separating the clams from the clam juice. After the vegetables have cooked for about 5 minutes add the clam juice and continue to cook for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat the butter over medium heat until melted. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Add the half and half and corn starch. Stir constantly until thick and smooth (about 15-20 minutes).
- Add the vegetables to the cream and continue to stir until combined and hot (don’t bring to boil). When the mixture is hot, add the clams. Don’t cook clams too long or they will be tough and chewy. When clams are heated through (1-2 minutes) stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with a crusty bread and salad. Crumple the bacon into small pieces and add bacon on top of the chowder in the bowls. Enjoy!
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
From The Blog RSS