The Lynchburg Museum currently has an exhibit displaying 20 quilts made between 1802 and 2010.
Quilting in America started as a necessity. Quilts were used as bed coverings or hung over doors or windows to keep the cold out. Early quilts were usually either plain or whole quilts (three pieces of solid materials quilted together like a sandwich) or patchwork quilts (using various scraps of fabric). Applique quilts became popular in the mid-1800’s as the availability of more materials allowed “show” quilts to be sewn, not just “utility” quilts. Quilt making became an expression of artistry and skill. Grandmothers and mothers made applique quilts for their children or grand children. These were often passed down from one generation to the next.
Quilting bees were an important social activity, as women and girls came together to work on a collective quilt or an individual one. While quilting they shared stories of their lives and taught essential skills to the girls.
The quilts on display are a combination of historic and modern pieces. The 1869 crib quilt is of particular note.
The Lynchburg Museum is located at 901 Court Street. It is open Monday-Saturday 10-4 and Sunday 12-4. Their phone number is 434.455.6226. The museum is free to all visitors.
The 1855 Greek revival Court House is one of Lynchburg, Virginia’s most recognizable buildings. It features a prominent temple façade supported by four massive Doric columns. The building remained in continuous use as a court house between May 1865 until December 1974. It opened as the Lynchburg Museum in 1977.
The guest rooms in the mansion, at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, are all covered with quilts. Kathy’s mother made the quilts we use today. When you are staying with us be sure to ask to see all of the quilts, we are very proud of them.
The Old City cemetery, in Lynchburg, VA, was established in 1806. It has been in continuous operation since it’s founding, making it one of the oldest public cemeteries in the US. Nearly 20,000 people are buried here. They include political, religious and cultural leaders, veterans of every major American war from the Revolution to Vietnam and over 2,200 Confederate soldiers. Three-quarters of those buried are African American (both free and enslaved) and more than one-third are infants and children under the age of four.
In addition to the graves honoring the dead are several buildings/museums, exhibits/monuments, gardens and special horticultural areas. In 2016 The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast’s blog is going to feature a special section of the Old City Cemetery throughout the year.
January we are highlighting the Pest House Museum Medical Center.
Located directly across the street from the Cemetery Center the 1840’s white frame building was the medical office of Dr. John Jay Terrell. It was moved here from his farm, Rock Castle Farm in Campbell County, in 1987. He used this office to treat patients for 40 years. Once restored it now combines his medical office with an example of a Pest House, to explain the medical science of the 1800’s.
Dr. Terrell’s Office contains his operating table, “poison chest,” “asthma chair,” and some of his instruments. A 1860’s hypodermic needle, clinical thermometer and chloroform mask along with his surgical kit are on display. Medical treatments often killed patients in the 1800’s, before their ailments would have. Dr. Terrell implemented washing hands and instruments between patients and the use of sand or sawdust on the floors to cut down on the spread of germs and bacteria. Simple things we do today and expect to be done today. These reforms enacted by Dr. Terrell reduced the Pest House mortality rate from 50 percent to 5 percent.
The Lynchburg Pest House was originally located near Fourth and Wise Streets, beside the early cemetery boundary where most of the patients would be buried. Used to quarantine Lynchburg residents in the 1800’s who contracted contagious diseases such as smallpox or measles the standards of cleanliness and medical care were virtually non-existent. Dr. Terrell deplored the conditions and volunteered to assume the responsibility of improving conditions for both the residents of Lynchburg and the Confederate soldiers who spent time there in quarantine. In the Pest House you will see examples of the straw pallets placed on the floor, that has been covered with sand. The use of sand made it easier to clean away debris and hazardous waste. The interior walls have been painted black to save the patients eyes, as smallpox affects the eyes and light. The garden just outside the Pest House contains various herbs and plants that Dr. Terrell would use when making salves, tinctures and remedies for his patients.
You can tour the Old City Cemetery daily between dawn until dusk. The various buildings and museums are not generally open to the public. You have access to them through placards, large windows and doors and recorded descriptions of the buildings and what they contain. The Cemetery Center is open daily between 11 until 3, or by appointment. For more information about the cemetery, tours, events, burial records or visiting the cemetery contact them at 434.847.1465 or www.gravegarden.org
Welcome 2016! The Carriage House Inn B & B is serving baked eggs in hashbrown cups during the month of January, as our signature dish. The recipe is easy to prepare and good for you, if you are trying to start the new year out by eating healthy. We generally serve this dish accompanied by roasted vegetables (butternut squash, tomatoes, asparagus, beets, etc.) that roast in the oven and present a nice color palate with the egg dish. We have just started using farm-fresh, organic and hormone-free eggs from Coleman Farms in Gladys. The yolks are a beautiful shade of orange-yellow. The eggs are delicious and full of great flavor.
Ingredients for Baked Eggs in Hashbrown Cups:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 20-ounce bag shredded potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 12 extra-large eggs
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch chunks and cooked until crisp
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Use the butter to liberally coat the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Divide the potato mixture evenly between the muffin cups. Use your fingers or the back of a spoon to firmly press the shredded potatoes over the bottoms and up the sides of each cup, completely covering them. Bake for 25 minutes or until the sides of the potatoes are browned and crisp.
Crack 1 egg into the center of each cup, then top each with a pinch of salt and pepper. Top each cup with several chunks of bacon. Bake for 15 minutes or until the egg whites are set. Set aside for 5 minutes, then use a fork to carefully remove each cup from the pan.
** You can use a standard size muffin tin or we have begun using a Texas-size muffin tin liner, made from silicon. Nothing sticks to it and the dish pops out of the silicon cup very easily! When using the Texas-size muffin tin I get between 6-8 egg cups depending upon how much I fill the cup with potatoes. Also, I place 2 eggs into each cup when using the larger size.
The White Hart Cafe in downtown Lynchburg is a special place. It’s a homey spot known for it’s locally roasted coffee plus all-day breakfast items, burgers (some say the best in the Lynchburg area), sandwiches, nachos and wings. This local business supports local farmers and other locally-sourced food, the local downtown revitalization, local residents (and visitors to Lynchburg) and the city of Lynchburg in general.
Open 7 days a week, beginning at 7:00 a.m., most mornings, and closing about 10:00 or 11:00p.m., most evenings, they serve breakfast, lunch, dinner, and everything in between. Some evenings live music is performed for the patrons enjoying their delicious food or locally famous roasted coffee. The coffee, Blackwater Coffee, is named after the Blackwater Creek Natural Area, located not far from the White Hart. The small, craft-roasting shop works in five-pound batches. Each batch is roasted by hand and is only completed when the roaster knows the beans will be perfect for your next cup of coffee. Remember, a good cup of coffee starts with good beans! And yes, they sell the beans at the White Hart too.
In addition to being known for their coffee they excel at burgers, wings, sandwiches and nachos, during lunch and dinner time. Breakfast items include malted waffles and their famous breakfast bagel topped with a fried egg, Swiss cheese, chipotle cinnamon bacon, lettuce, tomato, cream cheese and red onion. Of course guests staying with us at the Carriage House Inn B & B won’t need their breakfast, altho’ it does sound good. Many of our guests however have stopped there for a light lunch or dinner or a good cup of coffee.
Stop in after exploring the Community Market, antique shops or local, unique businesses in downtown Lynchburg or after hiking or biking the Blackwater Creek Trail. It’s a great spot to relax and watch the world go by. They are located at 1208 Main Street in historic downtown Lynchburg.
You are cordially invited to join the Diamond Hill Historical Society for a tour of five seasonally-decorated homes in the Diamond Hill Historic District. The home tour will be held on Sunday, December 13, 2015 between 1:00 until 4:30 p.m.
Diamond Hill was the third of Lynchburg’s original seven hills to be developed and became Lynchburg’s first historic district in 1978. Located on the edge of downtown Lynchburg, between Church and Grace Streets Diamond Hill is comprised of a variety of architectural styles including Queen Anne, Georgian Revival, Italianate, Gothic and Colonial revival.
Homes open for the tour include: 1216 Clay Street, 1407 Harrison Street, 401 Washington Street, 503 Washington Street, and 609 Washington Street. These homes were built between 1850 and 1919. Varying in style, size and lot design they will give tour attendees an educational sense of this historic District.
Tickets can be purchased at the Lynchburg Visitor Center or at Givens Books. Tickets will be available on the day of the tourat the corner of Madison and Washington Streets. Each ticket is $20.00.
Our recipe for the month of December is our smoked salmon frittata with herbs. It is one that guests have enjoyed, that is pretty when plated and would be a great Christmas morning breakfast or brunch dish. It’s easy and quick to prepare. I hope this helps you with a Christmas meal. We serve it with a side of roasted potatoes and a fruit salad. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces sliced smoked salmon, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- lemon wedges
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half, chives, dill and pepper. Gently fold in salmon.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, with sloping sides, heat oil over low heat. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Using 2 teaspoons, drop cream cheese over egg mixture.
- Cover, cook 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and bottom is set, lifting edges occasionally to allow uncooked egg mixture to flow to bottom of skillet. Cut into 6 wedges. Serve with lemon.
- Enjoy the smoked salmon frittata with friends and or family!
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
From The Blog RSS