Sauteed Greens with Fried Eggs
Our sauteed greens with a fried egg is a hearty, healthy and gluten free meal that is great way to start your day. There are plenty of vegetables plus the protein of an egg. We fried the egg (over easy) but you could also poach the egg. To save time in the morning you can peal and cube the butternut squash, mince the onions and toast and chop the hazelnuts. We served this to guests that were going hiking and wouldn’t be anywhere close to a restaurant at lunch time.
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 medium-size onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 10 oz. baby spinach, collard greens or kale (we used spinach)
- 1/4 cup blanched hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 over easy fried eggs
Directions for Sautéed Greens:
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Toss squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cinnamon. Bake 20 minutes or until squash is soft and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion in remaining 2 tablespoons hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Add greens, hazelnuts, sherry and squash. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Cook, stirring often, 2 minutes or just until greens begin to wilt. Sprinkle with blue cheese and immediately top with an over easy fried egg or poached egg and serve. Season egg to taste while cooking. Hint–Use white pepper if you don’t want to see pepper flakes on the egg, but warn guests that it has been seasoned or they may add additional pepper.
Our guests loved this breakfast and we will be serving it again next week when we have a gluten intolerant guest checking in.
Each month we post a new recipe to our blog, but all recipes have been collected and listed on our recipe page. If you are looking for new and creative breakfast recipes we invite you to check them out. If you prefer to have someone else do the cooking then give us a call at 434-846-1388 and book your reservation, or book online and let us serve you our legendary breakfast each morning! We hope to see you soon at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast.
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
From The Blog RSS
- The Horner House-315 Cabell Street December 16, 2014
- Spinach Pesto Egg Bake December 9, 2014
- The First Thanksgiving didn’t happen at Plymouth Massachusetts December 2, 2014