Shirred Eggs Florentine
When serving our legendary 4-course breakfast at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, in Lynchburg VA, we alternate a sweet morning with a savory morning. Thus, this month’s recipe showcases fresh spinach (from our garden), fresh eggs and cream (from the farm up the road) as it gets our guests ready for their day of outdoor activities i.e. hiking, biking, tubing or kayaking the James River. Exploring historic sites i.e. Point of Honor, the National D-Day Memorial or Appomattox Courthouse National Park. Indulging in wine tastings at one of 20 wineries within a half-hour drive. Or just relaxing on the wraparound porch or patio with fish pond.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 4 6-ounce ramekins with cooking spray.
- Arrange spinach leaves, loosely, in ramekin, making a “nest” of spinach. You need the spinach to fill the ramekin but enough space to allow the cream and eggs to cook into the “nest” without over flowing the ramekin. Place ramekins on foil covered baking sheet.
- In separate bowl break two large eggs. Lightly salt and pepper. Gently pour eggs into spinach “nest.”
- Add about 1-2 tablespoons cream to the spinach & eggs. Top with freshly shaved parmesan cheese, to taste
- Bake in oven about 20 minutes, or until egg whites are set and yolks are semi-firm. Carefully remove from oven and serve, in ramekin.
- Remember to warn guests that the ramekin is HOT and not to hold the ramekin when eating contents
- We serve this dish with hash brown sweet potatoes and roasted asparagus and tomatoes along with a corn muffin.
Enjoy in your own kitchen or visit us and request this breakfast dish when you make your reservation at 434.846.1388.
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
From The Blog RSS
- “To Be Sold: Virginia and the American Slave Trade” February 9, 2016
- Red Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Icing Drizzle February 2, 2016
- Waterstone Fire Roasted Pizza January 26, 2016