As those of you who follow our blog know, we alternate savory and sweet main dishes when serving our guests their four-course breakfasts at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast. This month’s recipe is a great, hearty dish that would make a fabulous Christmas morning treat, or even for a New Year’s Day brunch. This savory French Toast is a twist on bacon and eggs with a touch of a unique French Toast added.
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, about 4 ounces
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta (8-12 slices)
- 8 3/4-inch-thick slices country white bread
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1-2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
- Put a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, in the oven and preheat to 250°. Whisk 4 eggs, the milk, 1/4 cup cheese, the parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a baking dish; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, flipping, until crisp, 4-5 minutes. Drain on paper towels, reserve the drippings in the skillet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in another large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bread to the egg mixture and let soak, turning once, about 1 minute. Add 4 of the bread slices to the skillet and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Cook until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip again and cook until the cheese melts, about 1 more minute. Transfer to the baking sheet to keep warm and repeat with the remaining bread and cheese.
- Heat the skillet with the pancetta drippings over medium heat. Crack the remaining eggs into the skillet and cook until the whites are set, about 3 minutes.
- Divide the French toast among the plates and top with the fried eggs. Toss the arugula in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add to the plates. Plate the pancetta. Drizzle eggs with the balsamic vinegar.
Downtown Lynchburg, Virginia has a new bakery. And is it ever good! Located at 1344 Main Street this bakery is a unique addition to downtown’s delicious dining options. Owned and operated by Alex Richardson it serves breakfast treats, while R*A Bistro does not. Alex has been a supporter of downtown and opened R*A Bistro before many could see downtown’s potential.
His new endeavor features over-the-top cinnamon bun and beignet creations that will have you returning again and again. Afterall, there are so many different home-made frostings, almost 30 toppings and 12 sauces you’ll need to return just to try them all. And who doesn’t enjoy customizing their own cinnamon treats? In addition to the sweet treats there is a line of coffee and espresso products that complement the cinnamon buns or beignets.
The dough is mixed, risen, rolled and baked, then served fresh and hot from the oven. You top it with your choice of chef-crafted, infused frostings and a huge assortment of fresh fruits, crumbles, candies, cookies and more. You also choose one frosting, one frosting and two toppings plus one drizzle or really make it your own with your frosting choice.
The beignets are hand-cut, sugar dusted doughnut delights that match perfectly with the many house-made fruit toppings, chocolate sauces, caramels and frostings made for dipping. You can buy them by the piece or by the basket. Sometimes there are just too many choices.
Toppings include the old standbys: various nuts, chocolate chips, marshmallows and caramel chips. Frostings include cream cheese, maple, hazelnut and vanilla. Drizzles and sauces run the gamut between vanilla cream, chocolate, raspberry or strawberry to lemon zest, cinnamon or honey.
If you’re hungry at lunchtime for a savory, scratch-made dough roll you are now in luck. Savory buns are filled with fresh garlic, olive oil and herbs. Then you can add Boursin cream cheese, gourmet sauces, sautéed veggies or a variety of meats.
In addition to a nice selection of coffees and espressos you can choose café au lait, hot chocolate or a signature hot drink. Does a s’more, choc-raspberry, minty Irishman or banana foster drink sound appealing? Or, try a float, smoothie or milk shake.
Open Sunday through Thursday between 7:00 until 7:00 and Friday and Saturday between 7:00 until 9:00. If you’d like further information visit their website www.cinncity.com or call 434.219.3957.
My hint to you is, if you don’t want to get up early to prepare and bake your own cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning, visit Cinn City the day before to select some delicious breakfast treats. And consider the same for New Year’s morning. They have such a selection of goodies that you will be bale to choose from your favorites or be adventurous and choose something different. You will be glad you did!
Lynchburg Virginia’s Parks and Recreation department is hosting it’s third annual Celebration of Lights in December 2018. Riverside Park will be lit with displays, snowflakes and various light features to honor and celebrate the season. This event is free and family-friendly. Between December 7 until December 31, 2018 the event will be open nightly between the hours of 5:00 until 9:00. Except on two special occasion nights this event is a drive-thru event.
There will be three special event nights during the Celebration. Friday, December 7, 2018 will be the grand opening. Members of the Parks and Recreation department will be on hand to welcome you and wish you holiday greetings as you begin your travel, via car, through Riverside Park. Friday, December 14, 2018 is Pedestrian Night. Pedestrian Night allows visitors to walk through Riverside Park to slowly take in the ambiance of the light displays. Thursday, December 20, 2018 presents a magical night of carriage rides throughout Riverside Park. The carriage rides are hosted by Lexington Carriage Company. You can enjoy a hot cup of cocoa while the horses do all of the work, pulling you through the park. **Please note: all carriage rides are offered on a first come, first served basis. It is advised you register in advance to ensure you get a seat! Rides cost $6.00 per person. Tickets are required. Tickets can be purchased on the Lynchburg Parks and Rec website www.lynchburgva.gov or at any of the community enters throughout Lynchburg.
Riverside Park is located 2238 Rivermont Avenue, Lynchburg, VA 24503. Check-in for the special event nights is located at the tennis courts. For more information visit www.lynchburgparksandrec.com/programs-and-activities/celebration-of-lights
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
- 10K (1)
- Academy Center of the Arts (2)
- Art (2)
- At the Bed and Breakfast (75)
- Barbecue (2)
- Blackwater Creek Bikeway (2)
- Breakfast (13)
- Breweries (3)
- Cemetery (1)
- Civil War (17)
- Coffee (1)
- Community Service (2)
- Cookbook (2)
- Dining in Lynchburg (35)
- Downtown Restaurant (1)
- Events (142)
- Food Truck (8)
- Ghost Tour (1)
- gluten free recipe (26)
- Historic Lynchburg (56)
- Home Tour (5)
- Ice Cream (1)
- Junior League (1)
- Lecture (1)
- Loft Tour (1)
- Love (2)
- Massage Treatments (18)
- Movie (1)
- Music (5)
- News (37)
- Old City Cemetery (2)
- Outdoor Activity (58)
- Outdoor Concert (3)
- Packages/Specials (37)
- Poplar Forest (2)
- Recipes (94)
- Restaurant Week (2)
- Road Runners Club (1)
- Roanoke Virginia (4)
- Shopping (2)
- Tea (2)
- Things to do (152)
- Vegan (3)
- Vegetarian (1)
- Volunteer Oportunity (1)
- Welcome (5)
- Whiskey (1)
- Wine Event (17)
- Winery (6)
From The Blog RSS
- Rendez-Vous February 26, 2019
- Caramel-Dipped Popovers with Chocolate Mousse February 12, 2019
- At the Academy Center of the Arts, Chart Toppers of the Past February 5, 2019