The Carriage House Inn B&B

Check Availability | 434-846-1388

Blog

A City of Seven Hills-Chestnut Hill

Posted on

Chestnut Hill was the name of the first house built in Lynchburg, in 1752, by Charles Lynch.  The home was built on a bluff overlooking the James River near today’s Concord Turnpike.  It was probably named for the American chestnut trees that grew in abundance in Central Virginia until a blight killed them in the early 20th century.  Today the name Chestnut Hill is associated with the western end of Fort Avenue where churches, a city street and businesses share the same name.  The original Quaker Church, attended by Charles Lynch, is also located in this part of Lynchburg.