Patrick Henry’s Red Hill is hosting the Bluegrass, Barbecue and Brew festival on Saturday, November 3, 2018, between 11:00 until 5:00. Located at 1497 Red Hill Road in Brookneal, Virginia you don’t want to miss the flavors and sounds of Southern Virginia. Combining the love of history with the love of music, barbecue, and Virginia craft beer the festival’s intention is to have festival attendees fall in love with Southern Virginia.
Music was the entertainment for the 18th century. Patrick Henry played the flute and fiddle, both of which can be seen in the museum at Red Hill. The featured bands at this year’s festival are Breaking Glass, Joe Mullins and the Radio Ramblers and Nothin’ Fancy.
During the 18th century raising hogs was easy. They would roam throughout the nearby woods so there was little to tend to. Farmers would smoke and cure the meat. You will have a choice of meats as your barbecue entree. All of the barbecue vendors are from South Central Virginia.
You will also be able to sample and purchase local beer and cider. While Patrick Henry was governor of Virginia he hired a Scotch brewer to make beer. Henry never served anything stronger at the Governor’s dining table.
Enjoy the museum, historic buildings and the grounds that Patrick Henry loved. Listen and dance to the music. Visit the local art and craft vendors, to start your holiday shopping. Fill yourself with delicious barbecue, beer or cider (but remember to do so responsibly.)
Tickets are either general admission or tasting tickets. The general admission ticket, $15.00, allows you access to the bands, food and craft vendors, admission to all of the historic buildings and the museum and grounds. Tasting tickets, $20.00, gives you all that the general admission ticket does along with your choice of a pub glass or a wine glass, for sampling.
Things to remember:
- Festival hours are 11:00 until 5:00. The music starts at 11:45 and the last pour is at 4:30.
- Bring your own chairs or blanket for seating to watch the Bluegrass performances.
- ID must be shown for all tasting ticket holders at the gate.
- Docents will be available throughout the historic site, buildings and grounds. Red Hill was Patrick Henry’s last home and is his burial place. Take the time to enjoy the seven historic buildings, his grave site and the beautiful grounds overlooking the Staunton River Valley.
For more information call 434.376.2044 or visit www.bluegrassbarbecuebrew.com
The Brew Ridge Trail has been “open for business” since 2008. Have you experienced it yet? If not, the next few weeks will be a perfect time. The weather will start to cool, the leaves will start to turn, various fairs and festivals will be found, and the beer tastings will be delicious.
The Brew Ridge Trail is a self-guided visit to 6 breweries in Central Virginia. You can visit any brewery, in any order, during their regular business hours. All of the Brew Ridge Trail locations can be found on their website www.brewridgetrail.com, along with directions. Download the map, plot your trip and hit the road.
The breweries work together to promote the trail, collaborate on unique and varied beers, present special events at the breweries and share ideas and promotions that benefit them all. Tastings and samples are offered at each location for a variety of lagers and stouts, along with seasonal and/or monthly specials. Hours of operation vary according to the time of year and day of the week–check out their websites or give them a call.
The breweries currently on the trail are:
- Blue Mountain Barrel House, bluemountainbarrel.com, 434.263.4002
- Blue Mountain Brewery, bluemountainbrewery.com, 540.456.8020
- Devils Backbone Brewing Company, dbbrewingcompany.com, 434.361.1001
- South Street Brewery, southstreetbrewery.com, 434.293.6550
- Starr Hill Brewery, starrhill.com, 434.823.5671
- Wild Wolf Brewing Company, wildwolfbeer.com, 434.361.0088
If you would like to enjoy the tastings without the hassle of driving Brew Ridge Tours may be just the thing for you. Operating out of Lynchburg they let you do the tasting and they do the driving. Their tour pick-up locations are in Forest at Bräuburgers and in downtown Lynchburg at The Water Dog.
- All Inclusive Daily Tour: lunch, beer/cider flights, swag, 32 oz. take-home crowler/grumbler
- 4 Hop Tour: Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 10-6, Saturday, 4-midnight, all inclusive
- Sunday Short Hop: Sunday, 11-5, all inclusive
- Night Flight: 7-11:30, beer flight at brewery of the night included
- Lunch Hop: Tuesday & Thursday, 11-3, lunch & beer flight included
- Private Tours: personalized private tour arranged upon request, call for details
For guests staying at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast we will drive you to/pick you up at The Water Dog. Responsible drinking is appreciated by all.
For more information about any of the above breweries or tours contact the vendor involved. Enjoy!
The first annual Lynchburg Food Fest is scheduled for Saturday, May 20, 2017 in Riverfront Park in Downtown Lynchburg, Virginia. The “foodies” of Lynchburg will be rejoicing as they sample their way through the best of Lynchburg’s local cuisine and drink during the hours of 11 AM until 5PM.
Experience the tastes of over 50 local restaurants, food trucks, artisan food vendors, catering companies, breweries, cideries, wineries and more. At the food vendors you will be able to try samples or select full menu items. The 9 breweries and wineries, along with the cideries and Virginia Distillery Company will be offering tastes.
Food vendors participating include: Taco Shark, The Water Dog, Cheesy Rider, Altus Chocolate, The Frosty Penguin, Sourdough Pizza Company, Marilyn’s Creamery and many more. The drink vendors include: Apocalypse Ale Works, Loose Shoe Brewing Company, Blue Mountain Brewery, Starr Hill Brewery, Goose Island, Devils Backbone, Bold Rock Cider, DeVault Vineyard and more.
The event is family-friendly and will offer a “kids zone” featuring bouncy castles, a temporary tattoo station, photo opportunities and more fun activities planned throughout the day. Live music will be presented all day. If you bike to the event you can save $1 off your admission ticket. Bike parking will be provided by Ride Solutions and Greater Lynchburg Offroad Cyclists.
Admission is $5 with kids 12 and under free. Food tastings range between $1-$3.
For more information visit email@example.com.
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
- 10K (1)
- Academy Center of the Arts (2)
- Art (2)
- At the Bed and Breakfast (75)
- Barbecue (2)
- Blackwater Creek Bikeway (2)
- Breakfast (13)
- Breweries (3)
- Cemetery (1)
- Civil War (17)
- Coffee (1)
- Community Service (2)
- Cookbook (2)
- Dining in Lynchburg (34)
- Events (142)
- Food Truck (8)
- Ghost Tour (1)
- gluten free recipe (26)
- Historic Lynchburg (56)
- Home Tour (5)
- Ice Cream (1)
- Junior League (1)
- Lecture (1)
- Loft Tour (1)
- Love (2)
- Massage Treatments (18)
- Movie (1)
- Music (5)
- News (37)
- Old City Cemetery (2)
- Outdoor Activity (58)
- Outdoor Concert (3)
- Packages/Specials (37)
- Poplar Forest (2)
- Recipes (94)
- Restaurant Week (2)
- Road Runners Club (1)
- Roanoke Virginia (4)
- Shopping (2)
- Tea (2)
- Things to do (152)
- Vegan (3)
- Vegetarian (1)
- Volunteer Oportunity (1)
- Welcome (5)
- Whiskey (1)
- Wine Event (17)
- Winery (6)
From The Blog RSS
- Caramel-Dipped Popovers with Chocolate Mousse February 12, 2019
- At the Academy Center of the Arts, Chart Toppers of the Past February 5, 2019
- Ploughcroft Tea Room January 29, 2019