As members of the Jefferson Heritage Trail, The Carriage House Inn Bed & Breakfast, is proud to offer a “behind the scenes tour” during the Jefferson’s Virginia Festival dates of May 28 until July 4th.
Each Saturday morning, during the month of June and on Saturday July 2nd, we will invite 2 guests into our kitchen to observe the preparation and cooking of one of our signature dishes that we serve for breakfast. And then, they and our other guests will be able to enjoy this fabulously delicious main course.
Dishes may include: Apple Stuffed Croissant French Toast with Spiced Maple Syrup, Breakfast Frittata, Pumpkin Waffles with Maple Walnut Apples, Tortilla Breakfast Bowl, Sweet Potato Pancakes with Toasted Coconut and Pecans, Dutch Baby or Shirred Eggs Florentine.
How do you participate in this unique event? Call us at 434.846.1388, tell us you are participating in the Jefferson’s Virginia Festival and would like to book a room and take part in our “behind the scenes tour.” You will book your room for a minimum of two nights and we’ll take care of the rest. Saturday morning of your stay you will join is in the kitchen, observe, take notes and leave the kitchen with a copy of the recipe served that morning. Then you will join our other guests in devouring the signature dish offered. This event is limited to two guests each Saturday morning, so book your space early.
We look forward to sharing some of our techniques and recipes with our guests. See you soon!
Our Breakfast Tortilla Bowl is an easy twist on eggs and sausage.. The dish featured each month is something we have served to our guests at The Carriage House Inn Bed & Breakfast. The featured monthly recipe uses ingredients that are fresh and in season that month, are reminiscent of the season or celebrate a holiday that is celebrated that month. This year, as last, we will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo at the B & B when we serve breakfast on Thursday, May 5th.
Our Cinco de Mayo entré this year is a Breakfast Tortilla Bowl.
We make the tortilla breakfast bowl using a special tortilla baking pan. The shape of the pan is fluted, allowing you to place a 6 or 9-inch tortilla inside. Pressing the tortilla to conform with the shape of the pan results in a fluted bowl. We have used both flour and corn tortillas. If using corn tortillas this recipe can be gluten-free.
The tortilla bowl can be filled with any breakfast items you like. We brown sausage, onions, and peppers. We then make scrambled eggs, which are added to the meat mixture when they are almost set. To the egg-sausage mixture we add black beans, roasted kernel corn and shredded cheese. Once combined we place the mixture into the tortilla bowl and top with a bit more cheese. The plate is dressed with sliced mango and avocado, along with some sliced tomatoes (for a bit more color). We serve this dish with a side of sour cream and salsa plus hot sauce.
Since we are serving this for breakfast we have adjusted the ingredients toward breakfast foods. I have made the tortilla bowls and filled them with taco salad fixings, shrimp (above) or chicken salad, or any other ingredients you think go well with tortillas. Use your creativity. And happy Cinco de Mayo! Olé!
As we are always “experimenting” and trying out new recipes for our breakfast menus we stumbled upon this absolutely delicious French Toast reminiscent of breakfast on a tropical island. Maybe we should serve it with a Pina Colada! And since we are in the midst of our long, cold and dreary winter wouldn’t you like to imagine yourself on a sunny beach, with waves lapping at the shore and nothing to do but relax? If you can’t fit that into your schedule or budget, come stay with us at The Carriage House Inn B & B in Lynchburg, VA and we’ll treat you to this island delight.
Coconut French Toast Ingredients and Directions:
- In a shallow 3-quart baking dish, whisk 5 large eggs, 1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and a pinch of salt.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Soak 4 thick slices of brioche or challah bread in the egg mixture, letting excess drip off; add to skillet. Sprinkle each slice with 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut; press to adhere. Cook 4 minutes or until bottom of bread is a deep golden brown. Gently turn slices over; cook 2 minutes or until coconut flakes are a deep golden brown. Transfer to parchment-lined cookie sheet and keep warm in a 300° oven. Repeat with 4 more slices bread, adding another 1 teaspoon oil if necessary. Serve with glazed pineapple and honey syrup.
- 1/4 cup honey
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pineapple, cored, cut into bite-sized chunks
- In a baking dish, mix together the honey, lime juice and cinnamon. Place the pineapple in the glaze and let marinate 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat grill pan over medium heat. Place the pineapple chunks on the preheated grill. Grill both sides until the glaze caramelizes and grill marks form, about 2 minutes per side.
- To serve: place the Coconut French Toast on individual plates and top with pineapple chunks. Drizzle any remaining honey syrup over the top. Enjoy!
Remember, when staying with us at The Carriage House Inn Bed & Breakfast we can always accommodate a special request for breakfast. Maybe you were served a dish on a previous visit, or you have read our blog consistently and think a specific recipe sounds delicious. Ask us prior to your arrival and we’ll serve you your special request while you stay with us. Afterall, breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
A new recipe for guests of The Carriage House Inn Bed & Breakfast during the month of February.
As most of you know we feature a signature dish each month, usually based on the season of year, freshest local ingredients available or a holiday celebrated during the month. In year’s past we have served a chocolate waffle during February. We have tried different chocolate waffles but the signature dish has been chocolate waffles . In 2016 we are featuring Red Velvet Waffles! Maybe it’s time for you to try something new for your sweetie too. Unlike all of our other recipes this one is super easy because it comes from a box. We wanted to do something that was quick and easy because who wants to spend their time in the kitchen when you can be with that special person in your life.
Ingredients for the waffles:
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- nonstick cooking spray
For the cream cheese drizzle:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed
For the red berry salad:
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup raspberries, 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Preparation for the waffles:
- Preheat a Belgium waffle iron to medium-high heat.
- Prepare the cake mix, according to the package directions. Once the waffle iron is hot, spray with cooking spray. Pour about 1 cup of the cake batter into the waffle iron. Cook for 5 minutes, then carefully remove from the waffle iron. Place is a 250° oven, on the rack only, to keep warm. Continue making waffles until the batter is gone.
For the cream cheese drizzle:
- Put the softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt into a bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth. Set aside.
For the berry salad:
- Mix together all the ingredients for the red berry salad in a bowl. Set aside.
When ready to serve top each waffle with a heaping spoonful of the red berry salad and drizzle the cream cheese icing over top. Happy Valentine’s Day!
**Helpful hint: we put the cream cheese icing into a squirt bottle so that drizzling was easy.
We are offering a variety of special lodging packages during the month of February. Come visit Lynchburg, Virginia and stay with us at The Carriage House Inn Bed & Breakfast, select a special Valentine’s Day package and you’ll impress your loved one. Remember, every day is Valentine’s Day, during the month of February at The Carriage House Inn. Special packages are offered throughout the month. Call us with any questions, 434.846.1388.
Welcome 2016! The Carriage House Inn B & B is serving baked eggs in hashbrown cups during the month of January, as our signature dish. The recipe is easy to prepare and good for you, if you are trying to start the new year out by eating healthy. We generally serve this dish accompanied by roasted vegetables (butternut squash, tomatoes, asparagus, beets, etc.) that roast in the oven and present a nice color palate with the egg dish. We have just started using farm-fresh, organic and hormone-free eggs from Coleman Farms in Gladys. The yolks are a beautiful shade of orange-yellow. The eggs are delicious and full of great flavor.
Ingredients for Baked Eggs in Hashbrown Cups:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 20-ounce bag shredded potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 12 extra-large eggs
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch chunks and cooked until crisp
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Use the butter to liberally coat the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Divide the potato mixture evenly between the muffin cups. Use your fingers or the back of a spoon to firmly press the shredded potatoes over the bottoms and up the sides of each cup, completely covering them. Bake for 25 minutes or until the sides of the potatoes are browned and crisp.
Crack 1 egg into the center of each cup, then top each with a pinch of salt and pepper. Top each cup with several chunks of bacon. Bake for 15 minutes or until the egg whites are set. Set aside for 5 minutes, then use a fork to carefully remove each cup from the pan.
** You can use a standard size muffin tin or we have begun using a Texas-size muffin tin liner, made from silicon. Nothing sticks to it and the dish pops out of the silicon cup very easily! When using the Texas-size muffin tin I get between 6-8 egg cups depending upon how much I fill the cup with potatoes. Also, I place 2 eggs into each cup when using the larger size.
Our recipe for the month of December is our smoked salmon frittata with herbs. It is one that guests have enjoyed, that is pretty when plated and would be a great Christmas morning breakfast or brunch dish. It’s easy and quick to prepare. I hope this helps you with a Christmas meal. We serve it with a side of roasted potatoes and a fruit salad. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces sliced smoked salmon, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- lemon wedges
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half, chives, dill and pepper. Gently fold in salmon.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, with sloping sides, heat oil over low heat. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Using 2 teaspoons, drop cream cheese over egg mixture.
- Cover, cook 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and bottom is set, lifting edges occasionally to allow uncooked egg mixture to flow to bottom of skillet. Cut into 6 wedges. Serve with lemon.
- Enjoy the smoked salmon frittata with friends and or family!
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
- 10K (1)
- Art (1)
- At the Bed and Breakfast (67)
- Barbecue (1)
- Blackwater Creek Bikeway (2)
- Breakfast (5)
- Breweries (2)
- Civil War (17)
- Coffee (1)
- Community Service (1)
- Dining in Lynchburg (26)
- Events (128)
- Food Truck (5)
- Ghost Tour (1)
- gluten free recipe (21)
- Historic Lynchburg (47)
- Home Tour (4)
- Junior League (1)
- Love (1)
- Massage Treatments (17)
- News (36)
- Outdoor Activity (51)
- Packages/Specials (37)
- Recipes (83)
- Restaurant Week (1)
- Road Runners Club (1)
- Roanoke Virginia (3)
- Shopping (1)
- Things to do (131)
- Volunteer Oportunity (1)
- Welcome (5)
- Whiskey (1)
- Wine Event (16)
- Winery (5)
From The Blog RSS