It’s finally here, open and a huge success–Mrs. Joy’s Absolutely Fabulous Treats!
Tarsha Joyner, aka Mrs. Joy, became a Lynchburg, VA celebrity in November 2015 when she took home the top prize on Food Network’s “Christmas Cookie Challenge” special. Long before the airing of that episode Tarsha had already gained a large and loyal following for her booth at the Lynchburg Community Market, where she sold treats of various shapes, sizes and goodness beginning in 2012.
The shop took almost a year to build, but the time allowed Tarsha to design the shop exactly as she always pictured it. Bright accent walls, a checkered floor in shades of butterscotch yellow, light bulbs encased in whisk fixtures above the bar, tables at the front of the shop and seats in the back. Her plan is to rent the lounge space, located in the back section near the terrace level and breakfast bar area, She plans on offering decorating classes which will focus on cookies and cupcakes. A painting with chocolate class is in the works. Mrs. Joy’s will offer standard menu items with two kinds of cookies, one of which will always be chocolate chip, along with other staples like caramels, brownies and doughnuts. Special surprises will be offered on a rotating schedule and will include whoopee pies, macarons, and “hot chocolate on a stick.” When we have visited there have been cases filled with Black Forest cupcakes with cherry and vanilla frosting, ginger and lemon macarons filled with buttercream and lemon curd, peanut-butter glazed yeast doughnuts and apple pie pockets filled with Granny Smith apples, plus maple-bacon caramels.
Located at 1008 Commerce Street the hours of operation are Monday through Friday between 9:00-6:00 and Saturday from 8:00-9:00. The website is www.mrsjoys.com
A word to the wise, if you are on the hunt for your favorite delicious bakery item get there early! There are times items are sold out by 10:00, with a line out of the door waiting to get in.
Don’t worry about the calories, Mrs. Joy’s is walking distance from The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast so you can indulge on these treats then burn off the calories by walking back to the Bed and Breakfast.
Westminster Canterbury is proud to be hosting a special exhibit of original art of the Old City Cemetery, all by local artists, until January 26, 2017. This exhibit is placed throughout the Westminster Canterbury complex, ask at the front registration desk and they can direct you to the correct rooms and hallways throughout the two buildings.
The exhibit is comprised of approximately 25 pieces of art. The art work featured are paintings, pastels, pencil drawings, two dimensional art and a quilt. When seen together all of the pieces of art tell the story of the Southern Memorial Association and it’s association with Old City Cemetery. They were created and combined to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Southern Memorial Association in 2016.
In 1866 the Ladies Memorial Association was founded to beautify and protect the Confederate graves found in the Old City Cemetery. Between 1904 and 1915 the LMA purchased and installed over 2,000 individual marble headstones for the Confederate graves. During the time period of 1918 until 1931 they erected several monuments and structures in the Confederate Section, such as the entrance archway, “Speaker’s Belvedere” and the Veteran’s bench. In 1981 this association became known as the Southern Memorial Association. Although originally charged with the mission of protecting and preserving the Confederate section of the cemetery the “new” organization gradually assumed responsibility for the preservation of the entire Cemetery. Today the Southern Memorial Association is tasked with the management and maintenance of the cemetery.
On January 17, 2017 Ted Delany, Associate Director of the Old City Cemetery, will present an illustrated lecture at Westminster Canterbury. The lecture will describe the various pieces of art, using the actual art, slides and descriptions from the artists to tell the interesting and unique story of the Cemetery and the Southern Memorial Association. The lecture will begin at 7:00 pm, the front desk will be able to direct you too the appropriate room.
On Saturday, December, between 10 until 2, the Interfaith Outreach Association will be hosting the Downtown Lynchburg Historic Church Open House. Nine churches, within a 5 block area of downtown Lynchburg, VA, will be open for tours. In addition to touring the churches each church will be presenting musical performances throughout the tour time as well as a silent auction.
The participating historic churches of Lynchburg are:
- Court Street Baptist
- Court Street United Methodist
- First Unitarian
- First Baptist
- St. Paul’s Episcopal
- Holy Cross Catholic
- Diamond Hill Baptist
- Eighth Street Baptist
- Jackson Street United Methodist
Some interesting facts about a few of the churches on tour follow:
Court Street Baptist: was organized in 1843. It holds the distinction of being the “mother church” of all Black Baptist Churches in Lynchburg. The renowned architect R.C. Burkholder designed this church. Its spire is the tallest object on the downtown skyline, 167 feet above ground level. The copper ball on the top of the spire is 9 1/2 feet in circumference.
Court Street United Methodist: was organized in 1849. This church is considered the “mother church of Methodism” in Lynchburg. Known for its music, the second pipe organ in Lynchburg was installed in 1866. A Midday Music Series is performed from May through September with area organists and instrumentalists as well as guest organists from other cites and states.
St. Paul’s Episcopal: St. Paul’s crèche and angels memorialize and honor loved ones. From Advent until the Epiphany they are remembered in the prayers of the Parish. Children of the Parish add a small stone or some moss to help in the creation of the crèche scene. At the beginning of Advent the precipio are atop the columns throughout the nave. Each week they make their way to the manger. On Christmas Eve a child carries the baby Jesus as part of the procession and places him in the manger.
Diamond Hill Baptist: founded in 1872. The late Rev. Haywood Robinson, Jr. was the longest tenured Pastor having served this house of Zion for 36 years, from July 1964 until his retirement in 2000. Close relationship with Virginia Seminary (currently the Virginia University of Lynchburg) many ministers have been ordained here.
Eighth Street Baptist: grew out of Church Street Baptist. Dedicated in 1899. The interior is reflective of the worship practices of the late nineteenth century Protestant congregations. It is an auditorium church with sloping floors and carved pews facing a shallow chancel.
Tickets to the tour can be purchased via cash or check at the Lynchburg Visitor Center, Depot Grille, Boonsboro Pok-E-Joes, Aylor’s Farm Store or the Outreach Association Office at 701 Clay Street. Adult tickets are $20.00. For more information contact the association at 434.846.6098.
All proceeds form the tour benefit the Outreach Association programs. These include Emergency Assistance, Emergency Heating Assistance for the Elderly, Furniture and Furnishings for abused women, Interfaith Building and Vision Information Programs.
Again this year the YWCA is going to showcase local designers, contractors, vendors and small businesses in the YWCA Lynchburg Design House. The designers and contractors will be redesigning and redecorating rooms, using their skills and the latest design techniques, to transform an ordinary house into an extraordinary one. Each designer or contractor will utilize paint, fabric, furniture and accessories for a total makeover. You, as a guest visitor, will be able to see the work and vision of these talented people. You will see color choices and color schemes, furniture choices and placement along with rugs, artwork and accessories to make the room shine. Almost everything in the house is for sale!
In addition to touring the magnificent house this year’s special events include a fashion show, a mother-daughter tea and a bridal show. A preview party provides an opportunity to meet all of the participating designers who will be showing off their room and their work. In addition to the special events there will be an on-site boutique and Christmas shop, sponsored by the Farm Basket.
All of the proceeds from this event, put on solely by volunteers, directly supports the YWCA mission and programs, with special attention to the Domestic Violence Prevention Center.
This year’s house is located at 1418 Harrison Street, in Diamond Hill. Known as the Kean-Jackson House it was built in 1855. The style is Gothic Revival. R. G. H. Kean was the head of the Bureau of War for the Confederacy and was married to Thomas Jefferson’s great grand-daughter.
The Design House will be open Saturday, November 12 through Sunday, December 4, at various times Thursdays through Sundays. The special events will be held on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The house is also available for community groups for events of their own.
For more information contact Caroline Hudson at 434.847.7751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As you may know we have been posting blogs about Lynchburg, Virginia’s Old City Cemetery since the beginning of the year. We are almost at the end of highlighting a different part or aspect of this unique, historical and widely visited corner of Lynchburg.
This month we are featuring the Quartermaster’s Glanders Stable. Although the Quartermaster’s stable, that housed the thousands of horses and mules essential to the operation of the Civil War was actually located at the “fairgrounds” (which included the present E.C.Glass High School campus) it is represented and presented on the grounds of the Old City Cemetery.
Lynchburg was one of the four quartermaster depots for the Confederacy. The depot’s main function was to supply General Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia with the necessary horses and mules needed to conduct the war effort. Over a 15 month period, of the 6,875 horses stabled in Lynchburg, only 1000 were sent into the field. Almost 3,000 died, 449 were shot and the remainder were unfit for service. The great glandes epizootic was affecting the horses, mules and even humans. The stable allowed for innovative medical research on the disease and how it was affecting the cavalry horses.
What is glanders? The respiratory disease, which causes major respiratory distress and death, was a virus spread at watering troughs and in unhealthy stable conditions where the horses were prone to nuzzle. Infected mucus was easily passed from one animal to another as horses use their noses and the sense of smell to identify and communicate with one another. There was no cure.
Doctor Terrell and Doctor Page studied 19 horses stricken with glanders, conducting postmortem examinations at various stages of the disease’s progression. They also intentionally transmitted the disease from a sick horse to a healthy one, sacrificing it 33 days later to study its advanced and terminal symptoms.
Prevention of the disease was the only solution to controlling the epidemic. Horses and mules were placed in uncrowded, well-ventilated stables, which introduced good sanitation and a healthy diet. The animals no longer used communal watering troughs. Any infected animals were destroyed. The ancient disease known as glanders was not completely eradicated until 1934.
Placed on the cemetery grounds, across the street from the Chapel and Columbarium, is a marker describing this important contribution to veterinary medicine. Dr. John Jay Terrell, a Quaker, is mentioned. He helped eradicate smallpox, in humans at the Pest House (blog post 1/12/16), and eradicate the spread of glanders in the animals who served a very important role in the war.
It’s that time again, time to meet some of the ghosts of Lynchburg during their annual ghost walk in historic Lynchburg.
This years Ghosts of Historic Lynchburg walk will be held in the historic district known as Federal Hill. Federal Hill became Lynchburg’s first residential suburb, until it was annexed in 1814 and again in 1819 when it became part of the town’s jurisdiction. One of the smallest and most compact historic districts the houses range in styles from Federal, Greek Revival, Colonial Revival and Queen Anne, plus a few Second Empire.
Federal Street defines the center of this district. Because of the topography some of the streets have never opened or surprisingly dead-end at a bluff or cliff and are picked back up a block or two away at a higher or lower elevation.
Federal Hill has always been a popular residential area. Close enough to downtown for the residents to easily access shops, businesses and restaurants. Closer still to the churches that line Court Street for Sunday worship.
The tour will be held on October 20, 21 and 22, 2016, starting at 6:30 pm. Tours begin about every 20 minutes. Tickets will be sold each evening starting at 6:00 pm, with a limited number of tickets each evening. Tickets are $10 each. There will not be any rain dates. This tour is primarily on sidewalks and streets, but there will be uneven areas and walking up and down hills. The tour will start and end at 1101 Federal Street, which is also the place to purchase tickets.
Even if you have toured this neighborhood before the stories vary from year to year. We will see you there!
The event is put on by the Lynchburg Historical Foundation and is sponsored by Whitten Funeral Home. If you are from out of town and need a place to stay after touring the haunted streets, give us a call. We would be happy to put you up for the evening at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast.
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
- At the Bed and Breakfast (64)
- Civil War (17)
- Dining in Lynchburg (21)
- Events (116)
- Food Truck (1)
- gluten free recipe (20)
- Historic Lynchburg (43)
- Love (1)
- Massage Treatments (17)
- News (36)
- Outdoor Activity (44)
- Packages/Specials (37)
- Recipes (76)
- Roanoke Virginia (3)
- Things to do (113)
- Welcome (5)
- Wine Event (15)
- Winery (4)
From The Blog RSS