Italian Soup. A great meal for a cold winter’s day.
Each month The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast posts a recipe for past guests, future guests and just interested people who might be looking for something “new” to cook for their family. Most moths we feature a dish we have served at the breakfast table. This month we are featuring soup–it’s now winter, it’s cold outside and soup is a warming, cozy meal that is easy to prepare, tastes good and fills you up! We hope you will enjoy this recipe. In addition, this one is simple easy and is cooked in a crock-pot.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 2 14.5-ounce cans beef broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano, undrained
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 9-ounce package fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown ground beef until no longer pink, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks; drain off fat.
In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker combine browned meat, water, broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, paprika, fennel seeds, black pepper, salt and crushed red pepper.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5-6 hours or on high heat setting 2 1/2-3 hours.
Add cannellini beans, kidney beans and macaroni to slow cooker. Continue cooking fo 30-60 minutes on either setting, or until macaroni is cooked al-dente.
Stir spinach into soup just before serving.
Top each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 8 servings.
Check Room Availability
Subscribe by email
- 10K (1)
- At the Bed and Breakfast (65)
- Blackwater Creek Bikeway (1)
- Breweries (1)
- Civil War (17)
- Dining in Lynchburg (21)
- Events (119)
- Food Truck (3)
- gluten free recipe (21)
- Historic Lynchburg (43)
- Love (1)
- Massage Treatments (17)
- News (36)
- Outdoor Activity (47)
- Packages/Specials (37)
- Recipes (77)
- Road Runners Club (1)
- Roanoke Virginia (3)
- Things to do (116)
- Welcome (5)
- Wine Event (16)
- Winery (5)
From The Blog RSS