The Carriage House Inn B&B

Check Availability | 434-846-1388

Blog

Lynchburg Museum Quilt Exhibit

Posted on

The Lynchburg Museum currently has an exhibit displaying 20 quilts made between 1802 and 2010.

Quilting in America started as a necessity.  Quilts were used as bed coverings or hung over doors or windows to keep the cold out.  Early quilts were usually either plain or whole quilts (three pieces of solid materials quilted together like a sandwich) or patchwork quilts (using various scraps of fabric).  Applique quilts became popular in the mid-1800’s as the availability of more materials allowed “show” quilts to be sewn, not just “utility” quilts. Quilt making became an expression of artistry and skill.  Grandmothers and mothers made applique quilts for their children or grand children.  These were often passed down from one generation to the next.

Quilting bees were an important social activity, as women and girls came together to work on a collective quilt or an individual one.  While quilting they shared stories of their lives and taught essential skills to the girls.

The quilts on display are a combination of historic and modern pieces.  The 1869 crib quilt is of particular note.

The Lynchburg Museum is located at 901 Court Street.  It is open Monday-Saturday 10-4 and Sunday 12-4.  Their phone number is 434.455.6226.  The museum is free to all visitors.

The 1855 Greek revival Court House is one of Lynchburg, Virginia’s most recognizable buildings.  It features a prominent temple façade supported by four massive Doric columns.  The building remained in continuous use as a court house between May 1865 until December 1974.  It opened as the Lynchburg Museum in 1977.

The guest rooms in the mansion, at The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, are all covered with quilts.  Kathy’s mother made the quilts we use today.  When you are staying with us be sure to ask to see all of the quilts, we are very proud of them.